Monday, March 14, 2011

Procrastibaking 2

So along with a challah, the other week I made an apple pie! I had never actually made an apple pie before (although I am the crumble queen) and wanted to make a really traditional, American, short crusted pie. I was pretty excited about it, to be honest.


HOWEVER. Don't be fooled (by the rocks that I got), this pie actually sucked a little. I can't even remember what crust recipe I used (probably one of the first few results on Google..) but there was something funny about it which evades me now (I probably blocked it out of my memory). I'm no pie queen but every time I've made pastry it's worked out pretty well. This time though, the pastry just would not work with me, it was impossible to roll and I ended up just pressing it into the dish than rolling it out for the base. The top was planned to be solid with cute little vents but the strips were actually the largest pieces of pastry I could roll out before it died on me! I tried all the obvious tricks, like putting it in the freezer but I will definitely be searching for a more trustworthy recipe next time!

Devil pastry in action, pre-baking.

HOPE IS NOT LOST. Although the pie wasn't amazing when I had it that afternoon, when I had it the next day after a night in the fridge, man it was delicious. The pastry still wasn't nice and crumbly and delicious (more like biscuits you accidentally dropped in your mug of tea and fish out with a spoon) but it was super improved after having time to chill out and relax in the fridge overnight.

Because I'm the best sister ever, I also made my brother a little pie to take home when I met up with him that night!


This one also had berries and pears! I think it may have been considerably better than the pie I had at home.

Ps can you tell which is my favourite tea towel? I feel it gives me a bit of a Gourmet Travellerdelicious kind of vibe (snort). 

1 comment:

  1. I approve of procrastibaking - also your photos are amazing! I can never make food look that appetizing...
    x

    ReplyDelete