Saturday, July 2, 2011

Head injuries

You'll be totally glad to hear (I say that as if anyone is reading this) that not only am I officially on break from uni but I managed to suffer at least one head injury in the past week (that I know of).

I did a totally super awesome trip stumble trip trip stumble and then smacked my face into a mirror. Luckily there is no lasting damage (I am like this always), only a bump on my head and feelings of shame (who am I kidding, I have no shame). Basically I have been doing nothing else besides trying to write assignments and watching House, hence the neglect of this blog. Whatever, neglect is pretty much standard! I did start writing a post about one of Ben O'Shea's stupid articles in ThE wIRe (i am trying to imply youthfulness am i succeeding yet) which you may recall if you remember reading it and thinking "Wait a minute Ben O'Shea, why are you telling me what an idiot ... Is it not YOU who is in fact the idiot?".



In the interests of actually writing about something, let me tell you about going to Barefaced Stories this week at the Bird. I went with my splendid lady friend Aredhel with the aim of drinking and that happened to be on (but we drank first, neatly avoiding paying the entry fee but also fulfilling our main goal, sweet). Normally it is $10 which I find to be pretty steep but I suppose a lady's gotta make a buck, amirite? We both decided to go on the condition that if it is cringingly bad (it was a real possibility) we make a run for it.

It was actually pretty good. In fact, I'm probably going to go again and actually pay the $10 (maybe). I think our enjoyment hinged on the fact it's not entirely comedy based - whilst most of the storytellers were comedians and most of the stories involved humour, comedy and having an "act" wasn't the main purpose. And I was totally happy to just sit there and have people tell me about things that happened to them. What might have held it back (from the perspective of someone who's never been before) was the time limitations put on the storytellers - apparently this is in preparation of the October "Barefaced Story Battle" - but it did kind of ruin the flow of everyone's stories, and I kept feeling like I was missing out on something every time the little bell rung out.

Although I suppose it is a little bit of the luck of the draw, with storytellers and themes, I'd certainly recommend going, perhaps as an alternative to watching the same like five Perth bands over and over again (ruv u guyzz).

No comments:

Post a Comment